Saturday, April 17, 2010

Really? They Still Don't Ask a Native Speaker?


It seems like such a simple thing to do. Let's say I'm a Spanish advertising executive and I have a great idea building on Obama's famous campaign slogan, "Yes We Can", and oh yeah, I really don't speak English - I just think I do. Why wouldn't I run my idea past a couple of native speakers? In fact, why aren't there native speakers on staff of my advertising firm if I am selling English language ads?

We all know that this used to happen all the time in Spain, the English on commercials, bill boards, t-shirts, etc. just isn't quite right, but in 2010, on a big ad campaign, this still happens?

What's funny about this story is the supposed English language expert from the Complutense University tries to correct the awkward "Yes We Want!" slogan and she still gets it wrong...

They could have found any American student on the street or Brit in a pub, to tell them that the correct response to, "We want to learn another language!" is... "YES WE DO!"

5 comments:

Maria S. said...

This surprises me,too.

But we see this in Germany as well. They are either sure of their language skills or do not think about the impact such a mistake could have.

I have often wondered why text writers do not ask a native speaker to help with the job. Help on "Yes We Want" could have been for no charge.

Anonymous said...

Surely "Yes we want to" is fine in this context, and the expert was just illustrating the point as "Yes we want to (do)"?

Carl said...

I don't know, sounds awkward for an advertising slogan.

"Yes we want to!"

vs.

"Yes we can!" (Obama's ad)

I like "Yes we do!"

Through the lens said...

This is a very good point. Most people just can't be bothered to make the effort! This is a very funny example of laziness when it comes to other languages: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7702913.stm

Nice blog, follow me?

http://throughthelens24.blogspot.com/

Carl said...

Thanks Through,

I will check you out.